Scripture: “Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. For ‘whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.’” 1 Peter 3:8-12
Observation: From my course, I’ve been directed to break down the passage(s) to further/deeper understand the context of it. As such, I’ve looked up each passage in the concordance to understand each word in it’s original Greek understanding.
- Verse 8: unity of mind (in agreement); sympathy (compassionate and empathetic); brotherly love (affectionate); a tender heart (merciful); and a humble mind (describing a person who depends on the Lord rather than self from an inner outlook that regulates outward behavior).
- Verse 9: repay (return); evil (inner malice flowing out of a morally-rotten character); reviling (insult or abuse); bless (to speak well of); called (invited, summoned); obtain (inherit, acquire); blessing (adulation, gift, praise).
- Verse 10: desires (purposes, willing); love (take pleasure in, esteem); life (embracing God’s will for the believer); good (as to the believer, describes what originates from God and is empowered by Him in their life, through faith); keep (cease, restrain, stop); tongue (used of flowing speech); lips (mouth); speaking (say, proclaim, utter); deceit (trickery using bait to alure or hook people).
- Verse 11: turn away (fully avoid by deliberate, decisive rejection); do (construct, act, cause); seek (require, demand, desire); peace of mind (wholeness of an individual for example when all essential parts are joined together); pursue (aggressively chase).
- Verse 12: the eyes (mind’s eye, gaze, sight); of the Lord (God – having absolute ownership rights); toward (remaining); righteous (in conformity to God’s own being – His will and standard of rightness); ear (hearing, perception); prayer (arising out of deep personal need); face (countenance, demeanor); against (in opposition to).
Application: Seek to bless! Take pleasure in God’s will for my life and what He’s empowered in my life; fully avoid inner malice, abusiveness, and trickery; speak well of others and inherit the Lord’s gift; desire wholeness and aggressively chase after it. I desire for God’s eyes to remain on me, hearing and perceiving that which arises from my deep and personal need and pray that His demeanor never be in opposition to me as I strive to honor Him in all I do!
Prayer: Lord God, I love breaking down Your Word in this way, understanding it deeply in the context it was written. I want my life to be a pleasing aroma to Your nostrils! Continue to teach me and to challenge me in growth and maturation. I want to be more like you. Thank You for leading me and guiding me, and never leaving me alone. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen!